Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Wednesday, June 24- Day 8 - I made it to the Ocean! (Updated with beach photos)

I left Portland early this morning to beat the traffic and my body is still on Minnesota time so I was up early anyway. I also love riding in the morning due to to cool temperatures.

I spent much of the day riding great roads through heavily forested areas that created a canopy over the roads.  I don't remember ever driving in such heavily wooded areas.  Some of roads I was on you may have heard of, such as Clackamas Scenic Byway and McKenzie Highway.  Other roads were really just well maintained (paved) logging roads through the forest.  Their only purpose is to help with logging activities. No one lives on them so basically there is no traffic unless they are logging.  I only saw one logging truck on these roads.  Many of the logging roads are only 1.5 lanes wide and don't even have lines painted on them.  These are the real backroads of America.
Here are a couple of photos from today's ride.The photo of the lava fields are from the McKenzie Highway.





I finally reach the ocean this afternoon.  I am camping this evening at a state park in Oregon south of Waldport that is right on the ocean.  The only problem with the campground is that people in tents must be second class citizens - we are not allowed to have beach front campsites.  Only those with RV and campers get ocean front views.  What's up with that?  As soon as I am done updating this blog, it is time to head to the shore for some relaxing and enjoying the crashing waves.  Listening to the ocean is relaxing and peaceful to me.

Tomorrows route will take me down the Oregon coast and then I will head in-land towards Crater Lake.

Updates:
I went for a walk on the beach and watched the sunset.  Here are some photos from my stroll.






1 comment:

  1. Oregon was a frequent business destination for me in the 90s. I made plenty of time for exploration. What beautiful country! No map today?

    ReplyDelete