Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Monday, June 29: Sonora Pass, Yosemite, and a Couple of Goat Paths! - Day 13

Yesterday I did 3 passes over the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  I found out this morning that I had saved the best to last!  I went over Sonora Pass, which is over 9,000 feet, and it provided the best views.  When I am riding, some roads you want to do a “sporty” ride and enjoy the road.  Other roads you want to take it easy and enjoy the views.  Senora Pass is one to enjoy the views.  They were breath taking.  One this pass, as well as one yesterday, I encountered road signs saying 26% grade.  I don’t believe I have ever seen this sharp of grade on a public road before.  Now I have seen it two days in a row.  Going down a 26% grade and doing tight hair-pin turns at the same time will test your riding abilities.  It feels like you are almost standing on your head while turning.  That is how they get you from 9,000 feet to 5,000 feet very quickly.  What a blast!




The next highlight was Yosemite.  As I said previously, this was my first visit to Yosemite.  The centerpiece of Yosemite is a rock called “Half Dome”. It is a large dome rock that half of it fell away.  You get to see Half Dome from several different angles.  Typically, Yosemite is also known for its waterfalls.  With the drought conditions California has been having for several years, the falls were either pretty small or nonexistent.  I have included a couple of waterfall photos, the first is Bridal Falls (which has very little water coming over it); the other one is of larger falls but you were unable to get any closer to them.




And now for the goat paths!  The first one was when I was going between Senora Pass and Yosemite.  Somehow my Garmin GPS put me on this backroad that was really more like a goat path going down one side of the mountain, across a river, and back up the other side.  This was a single lane road. There was no place to turn around.  How Garmin determined this was the fastest route, I will never know!  The road name had something to do with a ferry so I was concerned I was actually going to have to take a ferry across the river, but about half way down the mountain, I did see the bridge so at least that fear was relieved.  When I approached the bridge, my next concern was that Billy Goat Gruff was going to not let me pass across his bridge without paying him; but again this did not happen either.  However, it looks the bridge is used as a large graffiti space more than anything else.  Almost the entire bridge was covered.

The second goat path was back to my campsite for this evening which is in Yosemite National Park.  The road to the campsite is again single lane.  It had been paved once but in many places the asphalt has been broken up and/or filled with pot holes.  Some holes have filled in with sand.  Some placed crushed rock was used.  I had no idea how far down this road the campsite was.  It didn’t look THAT far on the map.  Well it turns out, it is exactly 5 miles in the goat path, which took me 23 minutes. It turns out though, that the campsite is wonderful!  I am right next to a babbling creek (Yosemite Creek).  This is by far the best campsite of the trip and it was also the cheapest at only $10  No worry about live music concerts or freeways at this campsite.  While many of the other campgrounds are full, there are a lot of empty spaces here.  I think most people are afraid to come this far back.  I actually had a pick-up pull over as I was coming in the first time and he let me pass him; I could go faster than a pick-up – go figure.  The trick to riding roads like this is to stay loose, stay relaxed, picked your smoothest line, and just take your time.  The reward is at the end of the goat path!





Tomorrow I am going to do another look through a different part of Yosemite and then head towards Death Valley.  My plan is to get a place near there to spend the night and then go through the park early in the morning before it gets too hot.  We will see how well this all works out.

Here are some photos from Yosemite.






Here is today's route.

No comments:

Post a Comment