Sunday, June 21, 2015

Sunday, June 21 - Happy Father's Day!!!

I got to spend my Father's Days riding motorcycle - what more could this dad ask for?  And what a day it was.  I am not sure how many curves I encountered today but there were many, many, many!!! This will give you an idea of the route:



But before I talk about the route today, I want to let you know about Jim.  I met Jim at the campground last night.  He is riding a white Honda Goldwing and pulling a white trailer.  We talked about lots of motorcycle stuff last night.  We knew we were both heading in the same direction today but didn't make any specific plans.  I was up at 6:00 and when I got out of the tent, I saw Jim was already up and packing as well.  We both did our packing and waved to each other.  Jim then left the campgrounds about 5 minutes before I did.  It wasn't long after I left, I caught up with Jim as he was behind a vehicle pulling a trailer (lots of those today!)   I followed behind Jim.  We had to stop for some construction and we chatted a little more.  I continued to follow Jim and eventually we stopped and filled our gas tanks. Jim and I exchanged contact information and I told Jim I was going to be following until we came to Hell's Canyon.  We pulled over there and split ways.  Jim's plan was to make it to Pendleton Oregon tonight.  As my route was different, I didn't have any definite plans.  We split and each went their own way.  Later in the day, and Jim was not aware of this, we stopped at the same gas station.  Just as I pulled in  and started to fill up, I saw Jim pulling out.  He never saw me.  I continued my route and was also able to make it to Pendlleton Oregon tonight.  When I got to town I called Jim to see where he was staying.  He was a  a hotel.  I said I knew there was a KOA in town and it just happens to be right next door to Jim's hotel.  What a coincidence.  We agreed to meet later and have dinner together and we talked motorcycles (of course) and various family events.  As it is Fathers Day, and we both are fathers (we both have 2 girls!) - we each got a free slice of pie!

As you are aware, my GPS is not working and Cathy has ordered a replacement part for me and we had to figure out the best place to ship it.  As it turns out, Jim lives in Portland Oregon.  I plan to be in the area on Tuesday so Cathy is going to have it shipped to Jim's house and I will plan to pick it up there on Tuesday.  It is amazing how these things work out in life sometimes!  And as for Jim; they always say "you meet the nicest people on Honda"!  Thanks Jim - see you Tuesday!

As for the route today, as I have said, it was filled with curves.  Lots and lots of them.  While the terrain was varied (forest, mountains, rivers, farmland, etc.), the one thing almost all the roads had in common were the curves.  One of the roads I had ridden before is Hell's Canyon.  It is about a 20 mile ride (one-way) to a dam.  The road follows the river and is cut into the river rock bank (see second photo) side for much of the route.



One strange thing that happened while I was riding today is that came upon an intersection with no particular meaning that I happened to remember from a previous ride in the area (I am not sure what year it was).   There is a T in the road, and there is nothing special about this intersection - it is in the middle of nowhere.  There is an abandoned farm at one corner.  Last time, when I came to the intersection, I remember having to make a decision about going right or left at the T, this time I came at the intersection from the other way.  I have no idea why I still remember this non-important intersection - go figure! 

Tomorrow's route should bring me to Washington and Mount Rainer.  I am looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment