Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wednesday - June 17: The Trip has Begun!




Today's ride was just a short trip - just over 100 miles to my mom's house.  Enough to get out of the city and start heading west.  A few sprinkles were falling as I left; I thought no big deal.  I was no more than a few miles down the road and it started to rain.  Decision time: ride through it or stop and get wet putting on the rain gear (no good shelter nearby).  I decided to ride through it.  I ended up a little wet but was able to air dry on the remainder of the trip.

The route I took included a little trip down memory lane.  Some places I passed included (in order of appearance):
  • The place I took my motorcycle driving test; if you can call it that.  It included doing a loop around a few cones, a trip around the block to the right (which the observer could see), back past the observer, a trip around the block to the left (which the observer could not see) and a quick stop.  I guess that is all that was required to prove I could drive anywhere!
  • The nursing home where my dad spent the last several months of his life.  He passed away there last October.  Thinking about you dad!  You can be my guardian angel for the trip!
  • The school I went to.  It was all in one building - K through 12.  Graduating class of about 30 students.  Population of the town: 688.
  • The church where I was baptized and confirmed.
  • The family farm where I grew up.  It was the farm my dad grew up as well.  Family included mom and dad a 4 boys (I am #3).  I lived there from the time I was born until after high school graduation.

I spent the evening with mom.  Grilled some T-bone steaks for supper and did a few projects.


The goal for tomorrow is to make it into Wyoming - shooting for Gillette or Sheridan if all goes well. 









1 comment:

  1. Loved hearing of the memories.
    I'm sure Dad will look out for you.

    ReplyDelete