Thursday, July 2, 2015

Thursday, July 2 - Day 16: Continuing Homeward

The main objective for today was to just keep getting closer to home.  I plan to arrive home on Saturday sometime.

As I was leaving the campground 2 items caught my attention.  The first was this gnarly old tree.  The second, was the biggest velvet rack I have ever seen on a deer.  Take a look.




I pick the following route out of Utah and across Colorado (675 miles).  From Capital Reef, I head north to catch I70 at Green River and take it all the way to Glenwood Springs Colorado (about 175 miles) and then head down through Aspen (terrible traffic), across Independence Pass (Continental Divide @ )12,095 feet) and over to Colorado Springs.  Again, there is so much good riding in both of these states but I need to stay focused on the objective.  I am glad I have had other opportunities to spend more time enjoying each of these states and what they have to offer.


It is nice to see the lush, green vegetation in Colorado versus all the brown and dry plants on the west coast.  On the west coast, the streams were barely running.  In Colorado, the rivers are raging and there is water standing in many places.  There is also more snow remaining in Colorado mountains.  This may be partially due to their higher peaks (which take longer to melt) as well as additional snowfall compared to the west coast.

Here are a couple of photos from Independence Pass.





I am still working on the route for tomorrow.  It will likely include the Nebraska Sandhills in some way.  I guess you will just have to wait and see what I come up with!

I did achieve a couple of mileage milestones today.

  1. I have now driven 7,500 miles on the trip!  I am averaging 492/day.
  2. The motorcycle now has over 10,000 miles on it!  Considering I bought it late October 2014 and only put 200 miles on it before the Minnesota winter made me put it away, I think I am off to a good start.  I have heard (not verified) the average registered motorcyle in Minnesota gets about 2,000 miles per year.  I guess that puts me WAY above average.



No comments:

Post a Comment